Psalm 73: I was envious
June 21, 2020
Speaker Mike Heisler continues our series in Psalms out of Psalm 73. He speaks on how our envy is not what God would want from us.
1st breakout questions:
- Introduce yourselves as needed.
- What has changed for you as NY, or where your living, has started to open up?
- What are you most looking forward to reopening?
- Have someone read Ps 92:6-8
2nd Breakout Questions:
- What is your “envy” item? What do you want that others seem to have that makes you envious? (vs 3ff)
- In what areas do you see secular culture influencing you (or those close to you). How does it pull you away from Godly, biblical beliefs and lifestyle. (v 10,11) Do you ever feel like you’re faithfulness is in vain? (vs 13)
- How do you draw near to God? What is your sanctuary? (vs 17 & 28)
- Share something of God’s work in your life. (vs 28)
- Pray for one another
Scripture from 6/21/20 Psalm 73 Psalm 51 from 6/14/20 Asaph: 1 Chron 6:31,39, 2 Chron 29:30
Other Bible passages for further study Psalm 37 (David) I have seen a ruthless man, spreading himself like a green laurel tree 1 Tim 6:11-19 Malachi 3 you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked Jeremiah 9:5, 12:1, 17:11 Proverbs 11, 22, 30 Ecclesiastes 5:11 1 Peter 3:17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil. Job 21 Why do the wicked live, reach old age, and grow mighty in power? Job 29, 30 “The Scripture 2009” Bible version
Books Relating to vs 10, people of God turning to more secular views “Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics” Ross Douthat “The Gathering Storm: secularism, culture and the church” Albert Mohler
Good Good Father
How He Loves
- Use your bible app (or a concordance) to search for "riches" in the Wisdom Literature (Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes). Read God's wisdom on riches.
- Read Psalm 73 through each day this week and consider how it touches your life and what God wants you to do, be or change through it.
- Consider the works God has done. Identify someone in your life that you can share that with this week.